A major issue for young people is a lack of self-confidence.
What is self-confidence? And is it important?
Self-confidence is something you create within yourself by believing in who you are. Confidence is important because without confidence people are unable to enjoy life properly. People feel that they are unable to achieve happiness and success. A lack of self-confidence could lead to family issues, school problems, health problems, and could stop you from achieving what you want in life.
How do you know if you lack self-confidence?
Some people aren’t always sure if they lack self-confidence, here are some ways to find out if you do.
1. You watch people’s words and actions towards you like a hawk. In other words, you have a negative belief in yourself so if someone says something bad to you, you will easily get upset. Just remember ‘If you are confident, you are beautiful.’
2. You have a habit of comparing yourself to others. You should never compare yourself to others because when you do that you start judging yourself and start to lose your self-esteem.
3. You try to avoid conflict by pretending everything’s okay. No one's life is perfect! Everyone has a bad day once in a while but if you act like it’s okay, it makes you feel worse than if you just accept the fact that something is wrong and you need help. It’s fine to ask for help.
4. You say “sorry” way too much! You are one of those people that say sorry again and again even though it’s not your fault.
5. You put others down and you enjoy it. This is the worst of them all. People who have a lack of self-confidence aren’t happy so they wouldn’t want people around them to be happy as well.
How can you start to build your confidence?
You can start to build your confidence by doing little things such as:
1. Think positively and kill your negative thoughts and replace them with positive ones.
2. Get to know yourself. Try to overcome a negative self-image and replace it with self-confidence.
3. Do you worry about what people think of you? It doesn’t matter what people think about you, just as long as you’re happy with yourself and you have a good heart, you’re an awesome human!
4. Do what you’re afraid of! The best way to gain confidence is to do what you are afraid of.
How can you take it a step forward?
Once you have improved a little bit, and you want to take it a step forward you can do the following:
1. Take part in activities that you love without thinking about what people will think of you.
2. Ask questions! If you go to school and you never used to put your hand up, now is the time you start to put your hand up and ask a question and take part with the whole class without worrying that people will think you’re dumb because you didn’t know a certain thing.
3. Watch the news. The more the facts you know the more the better and also you should know what is going on around you.
4. Take part in debates! If you take part in debates you will be able to fight for what you believe is right, which is an amazing skill and would also help you improve your self-confidence.
5. Always remember, confidence is something you create within yourself by believing in who you are!